AMICI Naperville Area Italian American Club is a
non-profit social organization for those who
wish to enhance their appreciation of
Italian heritage and culture
Nicole Julia Maimon with parents Barbra and Ira Maimon and Amici Club president, Wayne Piccin.
Stefania Romano with president Wayne Piccin and scholarship committee Mary Piccin, Luciano Sestito and Annette Cowart’s
In recognition of outstanding achievements by young persons of Italian descent seeking to make a positive impact in our world, this scholarship is being offered to students who wish to continue their education in any accredited higher learning institution or qualified vocational school.
It is open to high school seniors in the Class of 2018 with some Italian ethnicity who attend an accredited high school in the greater Naperville area including the city and surrounding communities or who are related to an Amici Club member living outside of greater Naperville. The student must have a 3.25 grade point average on a 4.0 scale, have applied for admission to an accredited two or four-year degree granting academic or vocational school, and have completed all scholarship application requirements
An award in the amount of $1,000 will be granted to a single student and can be used toward education costs (books, tuition, study abroad, etc.).
SCHOLARSHIP CRITERIA: This merit-based award will be judged based on personal initiative, demonstrated character, and academic and extra-curricular achievement. An essay is required to show how these qualities are complemented by the applicant’s Italian heritage.
1. Completed application and accompanying materials (original 600-800 word personal essay plus 2 letters of recommendation and official high school transcript in sealed envelopes) must be postmarked or delivered no later than April 15, 2018. Please note that applications after April 15 will not be considered.
2. Personal Essay: ( Essay must be typed and double spaced and must address the following topic )
“How does the unique characteristic of your Italian heritage benefit you in attaining your educational and life goals?”
Essay will be judged on the basis of creativity, uniqueness, originality and sincerity.
3. Other criteria considered by the scholarship committee will include completeness and accuracy of application as well as academic and extracurricular achievement.
Payment of the scholarship will go directly to the award recipient and is dependent upon acceptance by and proof of enrollment in the winner’s chosen institution.
All scholarship materials must be submitted together in the order shown below. Please note: Deadline for postmarked or hand-delivered submissions is April 15, 2018. Completed applications must include:
1. Completed and signed scholarship application form;
2. Two letters of recommendation from appropriate sources in sealed envelopes;
3. Most current official high school transcript in sealed envelope;
4. Original essay written by the applicant.
Only applications that fully comply with stated criteria will be considered. Decision to award a scholarship will be made by the Scholarship Committee. There are no appeals. Committee decision will be made by May 2nd and winner will be notified immediately. Designated recipient for the 2018 Amici Club Scholarship and his/her immediate family will be invited to attend the club’s general meeting for presentation of the award in May, 2018.
Disclaimer: The application and all materials provided by applicants will be used only for the purpose of awarding the 2018 scholarship. They will not be used for any commercial purpose nor provided to any outside firm for any reason.